Lead Propulsion Engineer - LOX-Methane focus
Mojave, CA 93501
- Providing engineering expertise in the area of design, development, and test of methane/LOX propulsion systems.
- Focus on the propulsion system of the future reusable suborbital VTVL flight program. Other tasks may include technology development and support of other projects.
- Providing mentorship and guidance to less experienced technical team members - potentially up to 5 teammates
- Conceptual and detailed design of LOX-Methane propulsion systems including items such as combustion chambers, injectors, pre-burners, gas generators, turbines, pumps, valves, propellant feed systems, tanks, pressurization systems
- Design of the ground support equipment (GSE) and tooling for engine manufacturing, testing, and maintenance.
- Design risk analysis.
- Fluid CAD and simulation modeling, including propellant slosh and pogo oscillations.
- Component and assembly specifications.
- Fabrication and assembly schematics and procedures for engine and GSE.
- Component testing procedures, including priming and water hammer analysis.
- Provide technical guidance to fabricators and technicians
- System manufacturing and testing.
- Innovative and passionate about space
- Experience leveraging additive manufacturing in engine design.
- Bachelor's or advanced degree in aerospace engineering, manufacturing engineering, materials engineering, mechanical engineering, or engineering physics
- 5+ years of professional experience working with combustion devices or fluid systems
- Experience using CAD to design parts/assemblies
- Experience developing hardware from concept to working prototypes
- Hands-on project experience with fluid and mechanical systems, preferably as a team or sub-team lead
- Experience with various propulsion system cycles and their benefits and nuances
- Experience with cryogenic and supercritical fluid behavior.
- Master's degree in mechanical engineering or aeronautical/astronautical engineering
- 8+ years of professional experience in aerospace engineering
- 5+ years experience in engine test
- Conjugate heat transfer analysis experience with high heat flux heat exchangers
- Analytical/scientific programming experience (Python, Matlab, Excel, etc.)
- Hands-on fabrication skills