WAN Core Network Engineer
Melbourne, FL 32902 | Direct
- Serve as a technical interface between Harris and the customers’ engineering staffs.
- Engage with customer engineering, operations, and management personnel to define and document the customer’ s CONOPS and requirements.
- Develop and demonstrate application of Next Generation Network features for solutions within the FAA’ s National Airspace System (NAS) specifically as they apply to the FAA NextGen modernization initiatives
- Consult/explore options/pros/cons for optimized WAN architectures & considerations, system integration, performance, network management, security, etc. Will work on evaluation options & projects, network/application implications, risk assessment, and develop reference architectures
- Decompose requirements and allocating them to different subsystems or cross-functional domains.
- Conduct trade studies as required for designing solutions for customer needs.
- Serve as the technical lead for proposal efforts, including creation of a technical baseline, cost determination, ROM creation, and technical writing for the proposal volume.
- Lead design review efforts and hold design reviews with internal and/or external stakeholders, and ensure design reviews are planned, executed, and action items closed.
- Lead efforts to follow systems engineering processes throughout the lifecycle of the product or service, including writing and upkeep of the Systems Engineering Management Plan (SEMP).
- Responsible for providing technical oversight in the FAA NextGen Programs domain
- Assess and manage technical risk on the program.
- Identify improvement areas and architect elegant, optimal solutions
- Communicate clearly with peers and stakeholders about ideas, designs, and implementation details
- Work closely with fellow engineers to arrive at consensus-based approaches to problems
- Work with QA to explain new features and assist in test-plan development
- Troubleshoot complex customer issues that require deep understanding of network protocols and Linux networking internals
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent (preferably in Systems
Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Network Engineering or a related field), and a minimum of 15 years of applicable experience.
- Minimum 15 years’ experience in systems engineering and/or technical leadership.
- 3-5 years of hands on experience within the U.S telecommunications carrier industry.
- Experience in the Systems Engineering Lifecycle.
- Previous systems engineering leadership experience.
- Proven project management and leadership experience for small dedicated teams.
- Master’s degree or equivalent (MSEE, MSCE, MSSE, MCS [computer science] or a related field)
- Certifications: CCIE or JNCIE or equivalent preferred but not required
- Deep understanding of TCP/IP & Routing protocols (OSPF, BGP)
- Strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, computer networking, multi-threaded programming
- Self-starter, with high initiative and drive.
- Team-player, able to work in a large program environment and have good communications skills.
- Familiarity with FAA programs
- Experience in data plane and control plane architecture
- Experience with SD-WAN, Network Function Virtualization, SDN Software Defined Networking.
Seniority Level - Mid-Senior
Management Experience Required - No
Minimum Education - Bachelor's Degree
Willingness to Travel - Occasionally