- Without appreciable direction and exercising considerable latitude in determining technical objectives and approaches to assignments, performs in a largely independent role for the Systems Engineering organization.
- Typical responsibilities include: May plan, conduct, and provide technical Systems Engineering direction on projects or major phases of significant project assignment, coordinating the efforts of technical support staff in the performance of assigned projects.
- Requires the use of advanced Systems Engineering techniques in management of requirements and risk for developing rocket propulsion systems. -Assesses the feasibility and soundness of proposed engineering evaluation tests, products or equipment when necessary data are insufficient or confirmation by testing is advisable.
- Represents the organization in conferences to resolve important questions and to plan and coordinate work.
- May direct, coordinate and review the work of a small staff of engineers and/or technicians; estimates personnel needs and schedules and assigns work to meet completion date. Or, as individual researcher or staff specialist may be assisted on projects by other engineers or technicians.
- Develops solutions to complex problems which require the use of ingenuity and creativity.
- Work is reviewed at extended intervals for desired results and achievement.
- Contacts include interacting with customer personnel on technical matters often requiring coordinated activity across organizational lines.
- 9 years minimum directly related industry experience in Systems Engineering disciplines (product development cycle requirements management, risk management, integration) for aerospace/rocket propulsion system design development.
- Experience with IBM Rational DOORS requirements management software.
- Experience with MicroSoft Access strongly desired.
- Must be eligible/able to obtain and maintain a U.S. Security Clearance at the appropriate level (requires U.S. Citizenship) if needed.
- Bachelor degree in Systems Engineering or appropriate discipline/science (Mechanical/Aerospace).
- Advanced degree desirable.
- Coursework in Systems Engineering (requirements management, risk management, product development cycle) disciplines and rocket propulsion strongly desired.
- Trained/experienced in IBM Rational DOORS, Microsoft Office.