This team within the Operations & Advancement in Spacecraft Infrastructure Solutions (OASIS) organization is responsible for defining and managing the development and deployment of the DigitalGlobe Mission Planning System (MPS) including optimizing planning and scheduling across the constellation and its heterogeneous customer base. MPS receives the demand for image acquisition and downlink across all market segments, manages the ground terminal resources to receive the imagery, models spacecraft agility and capabilities and uses predicted weather data to produce an optimal schedule made available for spacecraft commanding.
Successful Senior Staff Systems Engineer (SSE) candidates will have experience with large, complex ground systems and mission planning and scheduling functionality, and are expected to leverage their experience to quickly learn all aspects of our ground systems from ordering, planning and tasking, raw telemetry data processing, core image processing, data management and discovery, and web/cloud hosting and distribution. SSE’s are responsible for driving the DG software development lifecycle through our agile process in a leadership role focused on design, implementation and integration of baseline changes required to support expanding constellation and revenue base. Technical leadership will also be required for the SSE to serve as mentor for less experienced Systems Engineers and to work alongside Product Owners and development/integration team leadership to help keep mission development and implementation processes flowing.
- Lead the Agile Software Development Life Cycle process used to facilitate system baseline changes; taking ownership of Initiative capability deliverables expected from the customer organizations.
- Oversee the management of component/service-level requirements and traceability to design documentation, test cases, and operational training material.
- Work directly with feature owners, other systems engineers, program managers, product owners, developers, testers and customers to define features and generate optimal system designs.
- Serve in a technical leadership role for the design, implementation and integration of our next generation cloud-enabled constellation planning & scheduling system needed to provide the scalability and resiliency required for our expanding spacecraft constellation and ground terminal network for years to come.
- Create system-level design artifacts with an ability to define and manage requirements in the context of these artifacts.
- Lead design sessions with component SMEs and collaboratively work across the organization to define and implement the resulting designs.
- Lead development of as-built models and design documents for software components to ensure all docuementation is current.
- Make contributions to the enterprise vision, engineering processes, and overall architecture roadmap.
- Lead design sessions with internal clients from back-end processing to user interfaces, with an emphasis on mission planning within the ground systems.
- Manage client expectations to ensure realistic deliverables and then exceed those expectations.
- Coordinate team responses to large scale dynamic requests.
- Interface with external vendors which build and maintain portions of our mission planning baseline.
- Mentor other systems engineers and build rapport across the team of contributors and stakeholders.