SUMMARY OF POSITION
This position has technical responsibility for all electrical design and analysis aspects of Gas Turbine Ignition System and Airframe Power product lines from preliminary through detail design phase. Routine tasks include reviewing electrical design input from Departmental Product Engineers, delivering technical requirements to Electrical Designer, evaluate circuit designs using analytical tools, evaluation of electrical components and refining SPICE models to match, and providing critical feedback during design reviews. The successful candidate must be able to promote and implement disciplined design practices/processes and integrate with the cognizant Product Engineer and Exciter Development Lab. The position will direct the efforts of the Electrical Designer and report to the Product Engineering Team Leader. The ideal candidate will have extensive background in established and emerging DC power converter topologies, magnetic component design and characterization, monte carlo evaluation techniques, passive and active component characterization, and PCB layout techniques for EMI mitigation. Must have the ability to work independently or with minor assistance from lab personal to validate conceptual ideas.
1. Direct one Electrical Designer in development of reliable electrical solutions to requested Design Input requirements for Ignition Exciters, Power Supplies and Magneto Product Lines. Augment Electrical Designer in same duties as required.
2. Work with Product Engineers in the development of the required electrical schematic(s) during preliminary design phase. Perform initial circuit analysis focusing on I/O requirements, component electrical/thermal margins and EMI compatibility.
3. Collaborate with Cognizant Product Engineer and Mechanical Design Team to ensure appropriate packaging and thermal/mechanical/electrical considerations are included in the mechanical design solution. Also work with Exciter Development Lab to assist with any troubleshooting and manufacturability/design improvement considerations. Work with product engineers to validate new components and circuitry prior to selection. Assist in development of reliability test plans.
4. Provide excellent technical writing and communication skills necessary for internal/external engineering communications, conduct of design reviews and written circuit analysis reports/Design Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (DFMEA).
5. Participates in internal Design Reviews as needed for all applicable projects. Provides Circuit Analysis or other design related deliverables in support of Customer Preliminary and Critical Design Reviews. Endstate is to provide a fully vetted design to the Product Engineer for release to support customer deliveries and component certification testing.
6. Understands and meets internal/customer schedule requirements, but not at the expense of the design validation.
Lead electrical design effort to institute best practices across all new exciter designs to leverage economies of scale and proven design methodologies. Develop and implement electrical circuit design standards to establish electrical/ analytical design discipline within the Design Group. Lead technical efforts to identify new electrical components for the next generation of electrical products.
7. Reconcile simulation inaccuracies by measuring real world circuit performance, validating component model shortcomings, and implementing corrective action in component model and simulation techniques.
8. Review Customer, Regulatory and/or Industry Specifications to ensure product compliance.
9. All other tasks as assigned by the Engineering Team Leader.