Torrance, CA 90501
The Design Drafer will work closely with Engineering, developing their thoughts and sketches into layouts, drawings, and schematics. The incumbent should have a well-developed ability for conceptual design, spatial visualization and to create design layouts, the judgment to evaluate and present design alternatives, and the knowledge of previous designs for incorporation of product and manufacturing ideas. The Design Drafter will have the latitude to make design decisions to the level most comfortable to the responsible Engineer.
At times it may be necessary to contact or have meetings with other disciplines to discuss design or fabrication requirements and feasibility. The incumbent must be aware of designing to cost. manufacturability, and feasibility of assembly.
The duties consist of leading the graphical evolution of new products from layout to drawings including correctness of proportion, arrangement of internal components, necessary dimensional information and material and/or process suggestions. The incumbent produces final drawings or 3D/Solid models independently or in conjunction with others. The design drafting process requires the incumbent to utilize the Computer Aided Design (CAD) System to produce a variety of drawings and layouts to enable better visualization, clearance checks, and also provide manufacturing information for Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAM) operations. Therefore, competent usage of CAD equipment is essential.
1. Translation of requirements from a variety of sources into computer models, layouts, detailed engineering drawings, and whenever possible using existing manufactured or purchased parts.
2. He/She contributes to a cost effective design and functional products by working closely with Design and Manufacturing Engineering.
3. Checks detail drawings for completeness and accuracy, insures the parts list is accurate and agrees with all other documentation such as Assembly and Schematic drawings.
4. In conjunction with Engineering, insures basic integrity of designs and layouts using correctness of proportionality, sizing, dimensional accuracy, correctiveness of tolerance limits, and conformance to GD&T.
5. Suggests or specifies materials to conform to design requirements and is familiar with the raw material drawing system, their use and linkage to the manufactured part.
- Associates ' Degree in a technical major, preferably in Mechanical or Electrical Technology with a minimum of 8 years Drafting/Design experience
- Well rounded background derived from progression through most facets of Drafting
- Possess above average design skills, strong creative and investigative skills, and be well structured and organized
- Comprehensive knowledge of good drafting practices and techniques, machine shop practices, part fabrication methods, and GD&T
- Familiarization of basic properties and strength of materials as well as stress and thermal effects
- Good understanding of mechanical hardware design for kinematic mechanisms and packaging them in customer defined envelopes
- Basic understanding of electronic circuits, electronic parts and interaction of electronic components with a knowledge of electronic packaging, interconnection methodologies, and printed wiring board layout techniques