Performs professional engineering assignments with instructions and receives technical guidance on unusual or complex problems in the planning, plan checking, field inspecting, designing and managing the construction of public works projects.
MAJOR DUTIES: (Duties may vary depending on assignment.)
- Gathers and organizes data and prepares designs, maps, estimates, reports, plans and specifications for the construction, alteration and maintenance of a variety of civil engineering projects.
- Prepares and reviews computations, design plans, "as-built" drawings, makes quantity estimates, and project schedules for storm drains, water mains, sewers, site improvements, streets, sidewalks, ADA ramps, utilities and various structures.
- Ascertains drainage areas and computes run-off velocity and quantity of flow.
- Analyzes bids, and conducts field investigations and feasibility studies.
- Performs public works plan checks for off-site improvements, utilities, and urban runoff associated with single family, multifamily, commercial, and industrial permit applications and development agreements.
- Provides assistance at the public counter by issuing permits, processing payments, answering phones, responding to questions and reviewing plan check comments.
- Reviews water meter applications and makes recommendations for new meters.
- Consults with other governing agencies to obtain required permits and approvals for construction of City capital projects. Performs other related duties, as assigned.