Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Pasadena, CA 91103
- The design of highly technical precision spaceflight mechanisms from conceptualization to delivery
- Collaborate with and lead/mentor other junior engineers on a project team
- As needed, create qualification and/or development test programs to validate new technology or new and novel mechanism designs.
- Work closely with internal and external stakeholders to develop and agree on program technical requirements. Present designs to internal and external stakeholders in PDR/CDR level reviews, as well as ongoing technical discussions.
- Create designs in CAD software from first principles, create and manage the release of detailed engineering drawings, and assembly and test documentation.
- Work closely with other functional groups during drawing release and manufacture, including manufacturing engineering, procurement, and assembly technicians.
- Responsible for providing disposition for non-conformances created throughout the course of manufacturing and assembly
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, Spacecraft Engineering or relevant degree in a physical or applied science.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience designing and delivering precision mechanisms in a fast-paced environment
- Significant experience using an industry standard CAD package, such as NX, SolidWorks, or Creo
- Fluent in creating engineering drawings meeting ASME Y14.5 and ASME Y14.100 drawing requirements, including GD&T
- Outstanding technical communication skills
- Proven experience as a project technical leader or project engineer for spaceflight hardware
- 10 years of experience designing and delivering spaceflight hardware
- Experience using Python, MATLAB, or Labview for data analysis, collection, and instrumentation of test setups for testing and characterizing electro/mechanical systems
- Curious mindset, comfortable in an environment working with others passionate about spaceflight
- Familiarity with precision mechanical systems, and design of mechanisms for harsh environments.
- Master's degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, Spacecraft Engineering
- Able to operate effectively as the sole point of contact and stakeholder for all technical program-related duties
- Well-versed in principles of mechanisms designed for space, including stress analysis, lubricants, materials, V&V, assembly, and test techniques
- Highly motivated self-starter with a proven track record of executing projects from concept to delivery