Research and Development Design Engineer II
Torrance, CA 90505
- Be responsible for technical design activities within the scope of a R&D project. Interface with the project leader and project team, manufacturing plant representatives, test laboratory, and other organizations
- Coordinate or support project planning activities for schedule, resources and cost
- Coordinate or support project, product (such as Design for Cost), and manufacturing cost analysis
- Conduct Functional and Requirements Analysis, FMEA and project risk analysis, and build product specifications.
- Analyze research data and proposed product specifications to help determine feasibility of product proposal.
- Perform R&D functions in selecting new applications, materials, manufacturing methods, finishes etc.
- Help to coordinate manufacturing and validation of prototype product.
- Plan and develop experimental test programs.
- Analyze test data and reports to determine if design meets functional and performance specifications.
- Provide support to manufacturing plant activities, which may include product qualification, problem solving analysis, stack up analysis, documentation updates and other communications
- Interacts and assists general product engineering in development and qualification of “me too” products.
- Confers with research personnel to clarify or resolve problems and develops design.
- Interacts with customers, participates and assists customers in issuing new standards for developed new products.
- Assists in answering to customer Requests for Information, proposals or technical meetings.
- Prepares or coordinates preparation of product or system layout and detailed drawings.
- Participates in patent and licensing activities.
- Uses computer assisted engineering and design software and equipment to perform R&D, engineering and design tasks.
- Participates in development and evolution of Design group procedures.
- Ensures new product development is conducted taking into consideration the best environmental practices and alternatives. Considering every aspect of the newly developed product including manufacturing methods, materials, and disposal with minimal or no impact on environment.
- Implements and suggests waste elimination initiatives specifically related to the function and department such as recycling opportunities and elimination of paper waste
- Analytical – Ability to analyze and understand complex information, product specification, and critical technical information. Able to scrutinize information providing succinct information on risks and proposed actions
- Technical Skills – Understands and has working knowledge of ISO 9001, AS 9100, NADCAP, Mil-Specs, ITAR, General aircraft construction and aircraft industry trends, Aircraft fasteners industry, Aerospace specifications, metallurgy, processing, composite aircraft materials and processing, composite aircraft applications. Able to clearly share expertise and transfer technical knowledge to others; Work in problem solving, team environment; Communicates technical knowledge and expertise with customers to instill confidence regarding technical function and ability.
- Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens intently to others and seeks clarification; Provides clear and rational responses to inquiries regardless of the situation.
- Written Communication – Writes technical documents clearly and accurately; Transfers technical data into meaningful written documents that can be understood by all levels of the organization.
- Team Work – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests.
- Business Acumen – Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals.
- Cost Consciousness – Works within the direction of the department’s resources; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources.
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.